Your privacy is extremely important to us so we want you to know exactly what kind of information we collect about you and how we use it. We’ve set out all the details below. Please take the time to read and understand this policy. This notice has different sections.
About Us I am Charlotte Pipkin trading as; The Yellow Papaya. I am the data controller of the information you provide us with, which means I control the way the information is used and processed.
How we collect your personal information? Direct interactions You may give us your Identity, Contact, and Financial Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
• pay for goods and services;
• speak to or contact customer services;
• ordering our products or services;
• create an account on our website;
• subscribe to our service;
• request marketing to be sent to you;
• give us some feedback;
• by filling in forms, for example when you sign up to an account;
• by sending us emails
• by adding posts, reviews and other comments to our website;
• by interacting with us on social media platforms such as Instagram etc;
• by talking to us over the telephone. For example, when enquiring about a purchase, or making a complaint;
• by registering accounts on our website including setting up passwords and preferred user names, contact details, account details;
Third parties or publicly available sources We may receive personal data about you from various third parties as set out below:
• Contact, Financial and Transaction Data from providers of technical, payment and delivery services such as Mastercard, Barclaycard, Visa, Paypal.
Your Personal Data We may collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you: Identity Data Title, first name, last name, username or similar identifier. Contact Data Billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers. Financial Data We will only see the last 4 digits and expiry date of your payment details for order processing. Transaction Data – Details about payments to and from you and other details of products you have purchased from The Yellow Papaya. These include:
• the time, date of purchase;
• the products any relevant delivery addresses;
• any coupons or other alternative means of payment you may use, as well as relevant payment cards such as a credit or debit card.
• your login details;
• your username and password;
• purchases or orders made by you;
• Information about how you use our website, products and services;
• Information on what you view, click on access by way of our marketing emails, website and mobile.
Marketing and Communications Data Your preferences in receiving marketing from us, our third parties, and your communication preferences.
How we will use information about you? We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to. We will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
• When you consent to us doing so;
• Where we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you;
• Where we need to comply with a legal obligation;
• Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
• means the interest of our business in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/product and the best and most secure experience;
• We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests;
• We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
Purpose/activity, type of data and lawful basis for processing We have set out below a description of all the ways we plan to use your personal data, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate. Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out in the breakdowns below. Some of the above grounds for processing will overlap and there may be several grounds which justify our use of your personal information.
Action 1. - To register you as a new customer
We require - (a) Identity (b) Contact
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest – (a) Performance of a contract with you (b) Your consent (c) Necessary for our legitimate interest to set up and manage your account
Action 2. – To process and deliver your order including: (a) Manage payments, fees and charges (b) Collect and recover money owed to us
We require - (a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Financial (d) Transaction (e) Marketing and Communications
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest - (a) Performance of a contract with you (b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to fulfil your order or recover debts due to us)
We require – (a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Profile (d) Marketing and Communications
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest – (a) Performance of a contract with you (b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation (c) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records updated and to study how customers use our products/services) (d) Your consent
Action 4. - To enable you to partake in a prize draw, competition or complete a survey
We require - (a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Profile (d) Usage (e) Marketing and Communications
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest - (a) Performance of a contract with you (b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them and grow our business)
Action 5. – To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)
We require – (a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Technical
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest - (a) Necessary for our legitimate interests for running our business, and to prevent fraud (b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
Action 6. - To deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you
We require - (a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Profile (d) Usage (e) Marketing and Communications (f) Technical
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest – Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
Action 7. - To use data analytics gathered from our website, mobile apps and to improve our website, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences
We require - (a) Technical (b) Usage
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest – Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
Action 8. – To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you
We require - (a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Technical (d) Usage (e) Profile
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest – Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/services and grow our business)
Action 9. - To provide you with our mobile apps
We require - (a) Identity (b) Technical
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest – Necessary for our legitimate interests. It also lets us do things such as recognise your username and password, as well as reset them if you happen to forget what they are.
Action 10. – To power our security measures and services in order to protect you and our business
We require - (a) Identity (b) Technical (c) Usage
Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest – Necessary for our legitimate interest so you can safely access our website and mobile apps. It also lets us do things such as recognise your username and password, as well as reset them if you happen to forget what they are.
Marketing We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising. Promotional offers from us If you have expressly opted-in to receive marketing from us we may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you. You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or purchased goods from us or if you provided us with your details when you entered a competition or registered for a promotion and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
Change of Purpose We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it.
Disclosure of Personal Data On occasion we may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below for the purposes set out.
External Third Parties
• Service providers: acting as processors based within the EEA who provide IT and system administration services.
• Other people who help us provide our website, mobile apps, and related services to you: They include information technology experts who design and host our website, and payment services companies that make it easy for you to use your credit or payment cards with us.
• Banks and finance companies: where we have allowed them to offer you the possibility of buying our products on credit (They may keep this information for their related banking and finance purposes)
• The Police, local authorities, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the courts and any other government authority: if they ask us to do so (but only if us doing so is lawful).
• Other people who make a ‘subject access request’: where we are required to do so by law.
• We may also share the information we collect where we are legally obliged to do so, e.g. to comply with a court order.
• Any social media posts or comments you send to us: (on the ‘The Yellow Papaya Online’ Instagram page, for instance) will be shared under the terms of the relevant social media platform on which they’re written, and could be made public. Other people, not us, control these platforms. We’re not responsible for this kind of sharing. Before you make any remarks or observations about anything, you should review the terms and conditions and privacy policies of the social media platforms you use. That way, you’ll understand how they will use your information, what information relating to you they will place in the public domain, and how you can stop them from doing so if you’re unhappy about it. It’s worth remembering too that any blog, review or other posts or comments you make about us, our products and services on any of our blogs, reviews or user community services will be shared with all other members of that service and the public at large. You should take extra care to ensure that any comments you make on these services, and on social media in general are fit to be read by the public, and are not offensive, insulting or defamatory. Ultimately, you are responsible for ensuring that any comments you make comply with any relevant policy on acceptable use of those services.
• Third parties: to whom we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this privacy notice. We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law.
Your Order Payments: When using The Yellow Papaya web site to place an order it will be processed through Barclays Bank plc trading as Barclaycard. Barclaycard will process your credit or debit card data. This data is handled according to Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) compliant rules and processes. We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers and expiry date when confirming an order. We securely transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing. All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard.
International Transfers We do not share your personal data outside the UK; Data Security A lot of the information we receive reaches us electronically, originating from your devices, and is then transmitted by your relevant telecoms network provider. Where it’s within our control, we put measures in place to ensure this ‘in flight’ data is as secure as it possibly can be. Once it arrives at The Yellow Papaya website, you can be sure we take the security of your information very seriously. We use appropriate procedures and technical security measures (including strict encryption, anonymisation and archiving techniques) to safeguard your information across all our computer systems, websites, mobile apps, offices. In particular, we follow the internationally recognised security standard including the Payment Card Industry’s Data Security standards (PCI-DSS). We use secure means to communicate with you where appropriate, such as ‘https’ and other security and encryption protocols.
How long do we keep your information for? To make sure we meet our legal data protection and privacy obligations, we only hold on to your information for as long as we actually need it for the purposes we acquired it for in the first place. In most cases, this means we will keep your information for as long as you continue to shop with us or use our services, and for a period of time afterwards if you stop doing so just in case you begin shopping with us again.
Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction – Your duty to inform us of changes It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes by keeping your details up to date on your online shopping accounts.
Your rights in connection with personal information Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
• Request access: To your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
• No fee usually required: You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
• What we may need from you: We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
• Time limit to respond: We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
• Request access: Of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected. We may need to verify the accuracy of any new data you provide to us.
• Request erasure: Of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
• Request the restriction of processing: Of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
• Right to withdraw consent at any time: Where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
What we may need from you We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.